• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

correct bidding what to bid

#1 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-May-30, 22:18

East west made the contract+2 What is the correct bidding?

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-May-30, 22:23

What was wrong with 2 - 4?
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-May-31, 00:10

Bidding looks fine to me. It goes off on double dummy defence which is not easy to find at the table. It is difficult for North to come in over 4 with a mediocre two suiter and no knowledge of the fantastic double fits both ways.

#4 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-May-31, 00:37

Not enough for 2NT and you may do yourself out of the part score with 4 when opponents may not compete opposite your point count. I prefer 3, but seeing the hands North should have a say regardless of level. On the board West made a good call on this occasion.

#5 User is offline   maris oren 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:21

View Postpilowsky, on 2022-May-30, 22:23, said:

What was wrong with 2 - 4?

nothing wrong with the bid except we made 2 more. Same with other competitors

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:40

View Postmaris oren, on 2022-May-31, 01:21, said:

As best defence will hold you to nine tricks after a club lead you have overachieved on the board and you should be happy.

When I saw the original post, I thought you were sitting North and wondered if you should bid and, if so, what with. There are two guiding principles: 6-5 come alive; and the five level belongs to the opponents. Choose which works!
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:42

North has to come in IMO with 6-5 at equal vul. Doesn't need much from partner to have shot at making or good sac. Would be unlucky IMO to be phantom or going for too many.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:44

View Postpaulg, on 2022-May-31, 01:40, said:

As best defence will hold you to nine tricks after a club lead you have overachieved on the board and you should be happy.

When I saw the original post, I thought you were sitting North and wondered if you should bid and, if so, what with. There are two guiding principles: 6-5 come alive; and the five level belongs to the opponents. Choose which works!

Yes as 4 goes off on best defence and ops can make 5 of either red suit 4+2 is a huge result. The only question is whether N should bid 4N.

#9 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:46

As the cards lie you could have gone down :) A good North/South might have found the correct defense after a lead.

#10 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 01:47

You have a very pure double fit, allowing you to take a lot of tricks on a combined 21 high-card points. Note that your opponents also have a great double fit and can take 11 tricks in hearts. It is very difficult to diagnose that the fit is this good - maybe a 2NT inquiry will get a response of 3C (maximum + a feature in clubs) and this would certainly be good news. But I doubt that your opponents would be silent over 2NT - indeed, I am surprised that North didn't bid (4NT maybe) over 4S.

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 02:54

View Postmaris oren, on 2022-May-30, 22:18, said:

East west made the contract+2 What is the correct bidding?

Beside the possible club ruffs, you are off 2 aces. Why would you want to be in 6? Just because the opponents don't take 2 aces against a 4 level contract, the same thing can't be said about a small slam. And how would the bidding go if somebody bids Blackwood and finds out 2 aces are missing?

#12 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 05:29

You've discovered a key flaw in Bridge - bad judgement often gets rewarded..
Non legit hoc

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-May-31, 05:53

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-31, 01:46, said:

As the cards lie you could have gone down :) A good North/South might have found the correct defense after a lead.

A good NS pair wouldn’t EVER be defending 4S. My biggest failing is that I’m occasionally too timid as a bidder, but even on a bad day, I’d never pass 4S as North . It’s the easiest 4N I’ve seen in many years,I’m tending to convert 5C to 5D, to show the red suits.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2022-May-31, 05:59

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-31, 01:46, said:

A good North/South might have found the correct defense after a lead.

I think most pairs would find the winning defence if they found a club lead, but I think it could be quite challenging on a slightly different auction and layout. Actually I think it is quite interesting on the auction 3-4.

After ruffing the club, do you cash the A and hope to get a useful signal or switch to a heart hoping for a second ruff? If you switch to a heart, how do ask for a club ruff and how do you cash two diamonds when you are out of trumps?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 06:23

View Postpaulg, on 2022-May-31, 01:40, said:

6-5 come alive because opps haven't bid at the 5-level yet.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2022-May-31, 06:33

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-May-31, 06:23, said:

6-5 come alive because opps haven't bid at the 5-level yet.

I think it's right to bid at any vulnerability except unfavourable but it is difficult when you could easily not find your best fit.
The Beer Card

#17 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-May-31, 08:20

View Postmikeh, on 2022-May-31, 05:53, said:

A good NS pair wouldn’t EVER be defending 4S. My biggest failing is that I’m occasionally too timid as a bidder, but even on a bad day, I’d never pass 4S as North . It’s the easiest 4N I’ve seen in many years,I’m tending to convert 5C to 5D, to show the red suits.

Agree entirely mikeh. I located the hand in the records and GIB was North :) Even though most of us on the forums realise that 4NT is pick a suit and two-suited after this auction, many non-expert and advanced players may not know the distributional value of 6/5 hands and their trick-taking power, and may not know 4NT as a conventional bid.

It reassures me that the robot is still less than advanced level for these auctions. That gives us humans hope that it will be many years until bridge robots get the better of us :)

#18 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2022-May-31, 09:26

This is resulting!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-May-31, 09:37

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-May-31, 08:20, said:

Agree entirely mikeh. I located the hand in the records and GIB was North :) Even though most of us on the forums realise that 4NT is pick a suit and two-suited after this auction, many non-expert and advanced players may not know the distributional value of 6/5 hands and their trick-taking power, and may not know 4NT as a conventional bid.

It reassures me that the robot is still less than advanced level for these auctions. That gives us humans hope that it will be many years until bridge robots get the better of us :)

I hope GIB doesn’t represent the state of the art in computer bridge. In fact, it is pretty clear that it doesn’t. Why BBO has never seriously upgraded the robots to a better method puzzles me. Sure, doing so would cost money and maybe they don’t see any monetary value sufficient to offset the cost.

I think the main reason bridge will remain resistant to computerized play is that bridge is a niche and dying pastime, so simply won’t be on the radar of most capable of doing the work. I hope I’m wrong.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2022-May-31, 09:47

View Postpaulg, on 2022-May-31, 06:33, said:

I think it's right to bid at any vulnerability except unfavourable but it is difficult when you could easily not find your best fit.

Imo that’s very misguided. Red v white is, at imps anyway, when it is most imperative to bid 4N

Matchpoints is a different game. At imps, -500 against their 420/450 is close to a push and well worth the risk, but at mps it’s a terrible result…not much different than going for 1100 if the field passes over 4S. But I think it’s right at any scoring, any vulnerability.

Bidding has several ways to win. It may be your hand. It may be a good save…even at adverse….and it may push them to 5S when 4S is the limit.

It is vanishingly unlikely on the hand that 4S is going down when we make nothing,so I’m not worried about that.of course we could get killed at the 5-level, but in a strong field, i’d expect to salvage a few matchpoints anyway.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users