• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slip of a Forked Tongue Claim - England

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-03, 12:35

West led the ten of hearts, and South claimed with the statement "Taking the club finesse unless the jack of clubs comes down". (sic)

How would you rule
a) if West has the king of spades and East has jack to four clubs?
b ) if East has the king of spades and West has jack to four clubs?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2010-November-03, 13:02

lamford, on 2010-November-03, 12:35, said:

How would you rule
b) if East has the king of spades and West has jack to four clubs?

How about:
c) if East has singleton king of spades and West has jack to five clubs?

I would look to Law 70E1. An unstated line of play is along the lines of HQJ, CAKQ, DKJAQ, HAK throwing C10 unless CJ has appeared, then either taking the spade finesse or playing SA if West is known to not have SK. Are alternative lines irrational?

The law does not ask us to accept an unstated line of play, if the stated line is irrational (or inconsistent).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-03, 13:34

lamford, on 2010-November-03, 12:35, said:

West led the ten of hearts, and South claimed with the statement "Taking the club finesse unless the jack of clubs comes down". (sic)

i.e. he is going to play a high club, cross to hand and play a club to the 10. He has 12 top tricks and is trying to get the 13th on the 10.

How would you rule
b ) if East has the king of spades and West has jack to four clubs?

a. the club finesse fails, down one
b. the club finesse wins, making

I don't see how the the king of spades matters?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-03, 13:45

mgoetze, on 2010-November-03, 13:34, said:

i.e. he is going to play a high club, cross to hand and play a club to the 10. He has 12 top tricks and is trying to get the 13th on the 10.

a. the club finesse fails, down one
b. the club finesse wins, making

I don't see how the the king of spades matters?

It doesn't matter in the two given scenarios. If East has SIX clubs to the jack, so that West shows out when declarer leads toward the KQT, then it might matter.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 14:06

The problem is that he HAS stated a line of play, which is to take the club finesse if the jack of clubs does not fall. The only way he can play in accordance with his statement is to cash a top club and later finesse the jack. Around 51%. Not as good as cashing the top clubs and then hooking the spade, but that is unstated, so he cannot do that!

He clearly intended to say finessing the spade if the jack of clubs does not drop, but in a claim it is just tough. And tough on East with the king of spades and West with jack to four clubs.

#6 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-03, 14:23

The line of play is win trick one, take the A, return to hand, take the club finesse. If it wins, he makes his contract. If not, he doesn't. That there are better lines of play is irrelevant. This is the one he chose. If the J is stiff, the 10 is his 13th trick, pitching the Q.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-03, 15:07

withdrawn...

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 15:28

RMB1, on 2010-November-03, 13:02, said:

How about:
c) if East has singleton king of spades and West has jack to five clubs?

I would look to Law 70E1. An unstated line of play is along the lines of HQJ, CAKQ, DKJAQ, HAK throwing C10 unless CJ has appeared, then either taking the spade finesse or playing SA if West is known to not have SK. Are alternative lines irrational?

The law does not ask us to accept an unstated line of play, if the stated line is irrational (or inconsistent).

But it does allow the claimer an unstated line, not embraced by the original statement, if the stated line is irrational. I have actually changed my view now, and believe that the statement itself, where the clearly right line is to take the spade finesse if the jack of clubs did not drop, makes the only normal line for this class of player cashing three clubs and taking the spade finesse. How would you rule if he had said "taking the heart finesse if the jack of clubs does not drop". Or if he had said "cashing four rounds of clubs and taking the spade finesse if the jack of clubs has not dropped."?

#9 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-03, 15:44

Those are different scenarios, which means the ruling might well be different from the ruling in the original case.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 15:56

blackshoe, on 2010-November-03, 15:44, said:

Those are different scenarios, which means the ruling might well be different from the ruling in the original case.

I agree, but the principle is the same; if the stated line is irrational but legal, is the claimer allowed to substitute another line? 70E1 seems to say "yes". The statement "taking the club finesse if the jack of clubs does not drop" is just gobbledygook although legal.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-November-03, 16:04

lamford, on 2010-November-03, 15:28, said:

But it does allow the claimer an unstated line, not embraced by the original statement, if the stated line is irrational. I have actually changed my view now, and believe that the statement itself, where the clearly right line is to take the spade finesse if the jack of clubs did not drop, makes the only normal line for this class of player cashing three clubs and taking the spade finesse.

Actually, if East shows out on one of the first three rounds of clubs, the clearly right line is to play for a squeeze. I don't believe that the definition of "irrational" should depend on "the class of the player".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-03, 16:21

Following South's claim, did East say "Down one, since I the club finesse fails"? When did the director get called?

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 16:43

At the table, West had the Jxxx clubs and East Kxx of spades. West replied "The jack of clubs does not fall and I assume you mean the spade finesse, and that fails too." The director was then called, and ruled ...

And I think the show-up squeeze is exactly the same as cashing the clubs and taking the spade finesse (when, as here, everyone follows to three clubs). A country mile ahead of the stated line.

#14 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-03, 16:50

lamford, on 2010-November-03, 16:43, said:

At the table, West had the Jxxx clubs and East Kxx of spades. West replied "The jack of clubs does not fall and I assume you mean the spade finesse, and that fails too." The director was then called, and ruled ...

And I think the show-up squeeze is exactly the same a cashing the clubs and taking the spade finesse. A country mile ahead of the stated line.

I certainly allow South to say "I meant exactly what I said"! West should have called the director without saying anything about the lay of the cards.

#15 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2010-November-03, 17:00

This discussion is strange:

Please show where the laws allow the Director to deviate from an unambiguous claim statement on the ground that the stated line of play is irrational?

(And a line of play that has 51% probability of success can hardly be ruled irrational)

#16 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 17:04

Bbradley62, on 2010-November-03, 16:50, said:

I certainly allow South to say "I meant exactly what I said"! West should have called the director without saying anything about the lay of the cards.

The problem with this is that you create an Irrational Coup, a distant cousin of the Alcatraz Coup. If the jack of clubs falls or the king of spades is onside, a non-SB West would not contest the claim. Indeed I would regard it as not the way to play bridge as South clearly meant the spade finesse.

A South who tries to get away with "I meant exactly what I said" is lying. He knows that he has made a slip of the tongue, and now knows that pretending that he did not is going to work to his benefit.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 17:12

pran, on 2010-November-03, 17:00, said:

This discussion is strange:

Please show where the laws allow the Director to deviate from an unambiguous claim statement on the ground that the stated line of play is irrational?

(And a line of play that has 51% probability of success can hardly be ruled irrational)

Law 70E1. And a line of play that is over 99% could be irrational, so your argument is ridiculous. Say that you hold twelve solid spades and the singleton ace of hearts. You are in seven spades on a minor suit lead. If you lead the ace of hearts it is ruffed, but you claim instead. Not drawing the single outstanding trump first would be irrational. And 70C2 is clear on this.

#18 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-03, 17:50

lamford, on 2010-November-03, 17:04, said:

The problem with this is that you create an Irrational Coup, a distant cousin of the Alcatraz Coup. If the jack of clubs falls or the king of spades is onside, a non-SB West would not contest the claim. Indeed I would regard it as not the way to play bridge as South clearly meant the spade finesse.

A South who tries to get away with "I meant exactly what I said" is lying. He knows that he has made a slip of the tongue, and now knows that pretending that he did not is going to work to his benefit.

But we don't play according to what people meant; we play according to what people said.

#19 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2010-November-03, 17:55

Bbradley62, on 2010-November-03, 17:50, said:

But we don't play according to what people meant; we play according to what people said.

And the primary approach to claims is: "In ruling on a contested claim or concession, the Director adjudicates the result of the board as equitably as possible to both sides, but any doubtful point as to a claim shall be resolved against the claimer."

It is a complete myth to think that a line cannot be irrational because the claimer stated it. In fact 70D1 and 70E1 indicate the contrary.

And when it comes to a card called from dummy, we play according to what people incontovertibly meant, not what they said, in general, so your argument is invalid.

#20 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-November-03, 19:43

If the club jack does not fall, I allow him to succeed or fail on the position of the K. If it is singleton offside, fine, he loses to it.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users