BBO Discussion Forums: Would you ever rebid 2N (nat) here? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you ever rebid 2N (nat) here?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-12, 04:56

You open 1H.
LHO overcalls 2D.
Pass (Pass) back to you.

Would you ever rebid 2N in a natural context and if so what would it show?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-12, 05:41

It shows a hand with tricks, i.e. probably 6 running hearts, a diamond stopper and some stuff in the black suits.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-12, 06:13

Yes, every time i have 5 hearts and 18-19 balanced hand with D stopper of course. I think thats what system requires?

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-February-12, 15:15

@ tolvyrj

If partner had responded in an uncontested auction I would have no qualms about committing to 2N with such a hand.

In this case it remains a possibility that partner has some values and was fixed for a bid, in which case bidding 2N will work out well. It is also a possibility that he has a complete bust, and the opponents have alerted you to a vulnerability.

It is possible that the odds still favour bidding 2N as if partner had responded instead of the opponents overcalling, but I was just wondering whether that is a popular opinion.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-February-13, 09:51

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-February-12, 15:15, said:

@ tolvyrj

If partner had responded in an uncontested auction I would have no qualms about committing to 2N with such a hand.

In this case it remains a possibility that partner has some values and was fixed for a bid, in which case bidding 2N will work out well. It is also a possibility that he has a complete bust, and the opponents have alerted you to a vulnerability.

It is possible that the odds still favour bidding 2N as if partner had responded instead of the opponents overcalling, but I was just wondering whether that is a popular opinion.

I don't believe the odds favor bidding 2NT, I would reopen with a double to allow for the slim possibility that maybe partner had a trap pass or long clubs without 10 pts.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-13, 12:13

View PostPrecisionL, on 2011-February-13, 09:51, said:

I don't believe the odds favor bidding 2NT, I would reopen with a double to allow for the slim possibility that maybe partner had a trap pass or long clubs without 10 pts.

I think, and previous discussions have shown, most people consider:

1H-(2D)-3C to be game forcing (or at least to the 4-level), so partner with clubs might even have more than a ten-count. But reopening double on this auction with 3+ in diamonds is probably not catering to a trap pass (dream) and is very dangerous. As Cherdano said, if 2NT is natural, it better have the "nuts".

I think a case can be made for the 2NT reopening to be delay unusual --good hand with 6-4 in the rounded suits.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-February-13, 18:58

View PostPrecisionL, on 2011-February-13, 09:51, said:

It would appear to be a very slim possibilty that partner had a trap pass. If so, he can say "oh well" and bid NT at the appropriate level, knowing exactly how strong my hand is. (Neither form of scoring nor vulnerability is given, so it's not clear what potential pick-up we might be losing here.)

But... I think the chance of long clubs with <10 pts is not at all slim. If that's what partner has, I certainly want him to know the difference between a minimum opener that doubles and an 18-19 count, so he can bid game with a maximum pass but not otherwise.

#8 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-February-14, 04:36

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-February-12, 04:56, said:

You open 1H.
LHO overcalls 2D.
Pass (Pass) back to you.

Would you ever rebid 2N in a natural context and if so what would it show?

Certainly.
18-19H , regular, good stoppers.
Ideally:
- favorable vulnerability,
- rather long in , trap pass from P is unlikely., neither a fit in the blacks. In that case Double is NO GOOD.

I do not like it particulary, but neither do I like pass....

Bob Herreman

#9 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-15, 11:07

Yes, with 18-19 HCP, it is often a good idea to bid 2NT with stoppers IMO. If you double, facing a 2NT bid by partner, which forces to 3C, you may not like it at all with club doubletons. Also, you may not like to see partner jump to 4 level in the doubleton when you can make 3NT easily if you bid 2NT and get raised. Of course you may not make 2NT sometimes, but they may not double you either. In some sense, 1x 2Y p p 2NT is safer than 2y p p 2NT, because 2Y's partner may hold a big misfitted hand to double you in the second auction and in the first auction, 2Y's partner usually don't have much value.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users