• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missed 6 spades

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-November-24, 09:49

This was from a MP tourney yesterday and we missed the good 6. While the play in 3N is pretty interesting after K, ducked, I'd rather not get into the play issues.

How should the auction proceed after 2?

(Edit, no 2 does not promise 6)

Thanks
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-24, 09:55

1:2
2:2N
3:keycard
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#3 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-24, 10:21

Hard to get this right when AQTxxx Ax Qx xxx

is close to hopeless on a club lead.

a continuation like
1s-2d
2s-3h
3s-4c* agrees spades at this point imo.
4h-4s
?

this bats the decision back to opener, and aught to get a decent decision. Especially if he is 6-3-3-1. 3H also suggests that you were not really that interested in playing in diamonds (and hence has spade tolerance), which is an issue if it goes 2N-3d-3s, its hard now to decide what strain you are playing into. I cannot imagine not bidding 2N as a waiting bid if I had a singleton spade and might want to play in diamonds. I might of course want to play in 3N.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-24, 10:43

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-November-24, 10:21, said:

"Close to hopeless"?
It looks to me like this needs a club ruff, and pitching a on K after a successful finesse. Probably 40% or so?.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-November-24, 10:50

View Postphil_20686, on 2011-November-24, 10:21, said:

Hopeless as in requires the Q onside so you can discard your losing and ruff a club. It's poor on a trump lead.

Are you playing 2 F1 or FG ? it makes a difference here.

Over an F1 2 (which is what I play in acol):

1-2
2 (5+/4+ or 6+)-3
3N-4(artificial, would have bid 3 last time with 0454, implied spade fit, likely to be Hx)
4(cue, 6th spade)-?

So you know partner has 6 spades, the A, no K and a club stop, if it's the K then the slam is probably fine, if it's the Q, it may not be good, but may well still be 50% in that it only goes off if the opening leader doesn't have the K because if he doesn't lead one, the trick walks on the red suit winners.

I think it just continues 4N-5-6.

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-24, 10:53

Even if 2S does not guarantee 6 cards, why not support with K J , and you might get a courtesy cue of 4C! , which would take the slam beyond "hopeless":

1S - 2D! ( 2/1 GF )
2S - 3S
4C! - 4D!
4H! - 4NT
5S ( 2 + sQ )- 5NT
6C ( cK, so 4C! cue was not shortness ) - 6D ( 2nd K-ask )
6S ( no more K's ) - pass

[ still no guarantee if opener has 3 small ].
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-24, 10:59

Having to bid spades 3 times to show six of them is not helpful to us; it might be fine for other styles. Nevertheless, if North rebids a mark-time 2N/2S, and South rebids 3S, North will come alive with 4C cue waking opener that his fine controls are worth cooperating for slam. The exact continuations would be according to partnership taste.

North's hand is interested in slam if opener has some nice controls and six spades.
North is not interested in slam if opener had to make the default 2S rebid because 2NT or a high reverse were inappropriate for his hand.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-November-24, 11:12

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-24, 09:55, said:

1:2
2:2N
3:keycard

I don't think that keycard tells you what you need to know....on this hand, it comes close and indeed you'd be comfortable bidding slam after his response, but on other hands, not so much. AQxxxx Axx xx Jx wouldn't be a good slam, for example.

N is certainly interested in slamming, but he can and should indicate that without the committal and frequently unhelpful keycard. Over 3, bid 4.

This has to be a cuebid in support of spades...we're not suddenly looking for a club fit :P

Opener has a good hand in context...lots of controls, good trump suit, so has an easy 4, announcing a non-minimum with, given responder's possession of the K, the A.

Now responder can keycard, since opener shouldn't be co-operating with true minimum.

This approach is based on the idea that cuebids below game are not mandatory.....when one partner makes such a cuebid, the other only cues in response if he is at least somewhat interested in slam....has a useful or non-minimum hand within the context of the auction to date.

On the given hand, I think that opener has a tough call over 2N. The side stoppers and flattish shape suggest 3N.....bidding 3 will sometimes result in reaching the inferior (at mps) game of 4.

To some degree this is just bad luck. Those who play that 2 promises 6 can point to this hand as evidence in their favour....and it is....it just isn't enough to persuade me that that approach is best.

And N has exactly the wrong hand values for the method....he is very close to raising 3N to 4 (I think 4 shows the values for 4N, invitational, with willingness to play spades), but I can understand why he would chose to pass 3N....opposite a 5323 minimum, why risk playing 4N?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-24, 16:02

1s - 2d
2s - 2n
3n - 4c
4h - 4s
5c - 6s

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-24, 16:07

I agree with jilly, aguahombre and mikeh on the start, 1-2-2-2NT-3-4, anything else doens´t make much sense to me. Then I´d follow up mikeh route.

#11 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-25, 09:28

What contact do you want to be in when openers minors are reversed and how will the bidding go?
AQTxxx
A9
Kxx
xx

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-November-25, 10:12

View Postkgr, on 2011-November-25, 09:28, said:

What contact do you want to be in when openers minors are reversed and how will the bidding go?
AQTxxx
A9
Kxx
xx

6 isn't bad.

1-2
2-3
4 etc

#13 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-25, 10:32

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-November-25, 10:12, said:

View Postkgr, on 2011-November-25, 09:28, said:

AQTxxx
A9
Kxx
xx

6 isn't bad.

1-2
2-3
4 etc

So, you'd rather play in an 8-card minor (to AKT9) than an 8-card major (to AKQJT)?

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-November-25, 14:30

I hate the style where 2 by Opener does not show 6, but I could live with that if the rest of the auction made sense (to me). What I don't understand is why the auctions so far have seemed senseless.

First, I would imagine that if 2NT is a wark-time auction, then Opener's 3 call should set trumps (except perhaps if 3NT is playable). Thus, any call (at least above 3NT) should be a cue. So, assuming that:

1-2
2-2NT
3-4(cue)
4(cue)

But, it seems even better for Opener to unwind even more cheaply after a 2NT "waiting" type of call, assuming this start. For instance, in the given auction, after 2NT, it might make sense to play transfer rebids:

3 = diamond agreement. Responder can confirm by bidding 3 (probe otherwise)?. (Same method if Responder's minor is clubs; 3 agrees, 3 confirms.)
3 = 6/4. Responder can confirm either by bidding either.
3 = Six spades; accept to confirm.
3 = 7 spades?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-November-25, 16:39

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-November-25, 10:32, said:

So, you'd rather play in an 8-card minor (to AKT9) than an 8-card major (to AKQJT)?

In this case yes, think about the play on a club lead, 6 is on the heart finesse or a diamond miracle and they don't combine that well. 6 merely needs a 3-2 diamond break and the person with 3 to follow to 2 spades. You can also survive some 4-1 diamond breaks where the diamonds are in front of the long hand.

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2011-November-25, 16:52

I realize that 2N is the "correct" rebid as responder, but I think the practical bid is 3N. Yes this shows a balanced rather than a semi-balanced hand, and our hand is very suitable for a suit contract, but other than that it expresses our values very precisely, and we will usually get to the right strain.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-25, 18:31

View Postcherdano, on 2011-November-25, 16:52, said:

I realize that 2N is the "correct" rebid as responder, but I think the practical bid is 3N. Yes this shows a balanced rather than a semi-balanced hand, and our hand is very suitable for a suit contract, but other than that it expresses our values very precisely, and we will usually get to the right strain.

I can´t recall last time I rebid 3NT with a balanced hand as responder on this auction. I think I only do it now with singleton spade, I have some problems limiting ranges and that later, but I don´t miss my 6-2 fits in the major nor my 5-3 in the minor either.

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-November-25, 19:02

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-November-25, 14:30, said:

But, it seems even better for Opener to unwind even more cheaply after a 2NT "waiting" type of call, assuming this start. For instance, in the given auction, after 2NT, it might make sense to play transfer rebids:

3 = diamond agreement. Responder can confirm by bidding 3 (probe otherwise)?. (Same method if Responder's minor is clubs; 3 agrees, 3 confirms.)
3 = 6/4. Responder can confirm either by bidding either.
3 = Six spades; accept to confirm.
3 = 7 spades?

Don't you think opener might need a way to show clubs?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-November-25, 19:42

View Postgnasher, on 2011-November-25, 19:02, said:

Don't you think opener might need a way to show clubs?

I thought about that, especially with an approach where 2 is often bid with five BECAUSE of the desire to not make a weak high-reverse. But, the idea of being able to keep auctions low seems incredibly valuable. Maybe this means that 3 should show clubs. Or, maybe a Smolen style rebid structure works (3 as sixth spade; 3 as 6/4 and weak).

I'm just brainstorming, as I dislike the approach generally.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-November-26, 18:42

View Postcherdano, on 2011-November-25, 16:52, said:

I don't think it expresses our values precisely. The two honors in spades, the doubleton, the aces, the hand is too useful for opener. I think that responders hand is more suitable for asking than for showing.

This thread reminds me of the hand from the Bermuda Bowl finals, where Brink-Drijver bid to a good 6D and Bathurst-Zagorin bid to 3NT. If you want to bid slams in 2/1 auctions well, I think you need more definition than "2/1 is GF, follow-ups are natural".
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users