BBO Discussion Forums: who didn't accept the invitation - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

who didn't accept the invitation display who hasn't accepted a torunament invitation

#1 User is offline   joel1900 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-16, 23:48

When a tournament is started and an invitation is not accepted, to my knowledge there isn't a way to determine the the offending party. Please implement a means to determine who have or have not accepted. One method would be to build a list of the acceptances. Another would be to change the color of the names in the reserve seating. I like the second method. With that method, it would be useful to be able to select the offender and reissue the invitation without having to re-invite those that have already accepted.

#2 User is offline   jcreech 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-17, 04:53

Some platforms do not even receive the invitations, so the invitation just times out. I have noticed a problem with phones and iPad users. It is easier when you know what questions to ask before making an invite.

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-17, 06:13

I think you mean team match rather than tournament.

My experience is very different from yours and I always know who is the offending party. I am using the latest client and have run a lot of matches.

As accepted invitations are displayed, eventually they all accept or you receive a notification that one specific person has refused the invitation. The reason for the refusal is not given.

I suspect that often the invitation times out because they are away from the keyboard and the person would prefer not to tell me this. Occasionally they just hit the wrong button. iPad and mobile users often have problems with the invitation not appearing in the right part of the screen and the Accept button being out of sight; in trying to move it they inadvertently decline or there is a timeout as they work out what to do. Or they just have fat fingers.

Like jcreech I am wary of different clients and wonder whether invites are delivered. I have no evidence either way but to date, which is a lot longer than you have been on the BBO Forums, I've always been able to start a team match eventually.

Traditionally, when starting a match with random, unknown, BBO players rather than friends, their commitment to the match was ephemeral. They would often sign up via chat for multiple team matches and play in the one that started first. This is one reason why inviting everyone again is necessary.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-17, 14:58

View Postpaulg, on 2020-May-17, 06:13, said:

I think you mean team match rather than tournament.

My experience is very different from yours and I always know who is the offending party. I am using the latest client and have run a lot of matches.

As accepted invitations are displayed, eventually they all accept or you receive a notification that one specific person has refused the invitation. The reason for the refusal is not given.

Let me qualify that I have only run a few team matches, always on the latest client.
But the problem that I (and probably the OP) encountered is not so much that I did not eventually know who is the offending party (as you say I receive a notification after some time) but that despite the notification asserting that he had refused I had no real idea if:
a) he refused
b) he did not respond
c) he was not online
and also more important the other candidate players had no idea of why the match was not starting and tempested me with questions or with superfluous reassurances that they had accepted.

All of this must surely be quite frequent and also easily mitigated in obvious ways: identify the real problem, notify it clearly to all involved.

#5 User is offline   NigelatBM 

• Pip

Posted 2022-February-21, 06:55

In the UK Chiltern Bridge League we use multiple BBO teams-of-4 'matchlets' to run teams-of-8 matches.

We have experienced a number of situations where one of the team-players hasn't received his/her invitation, despite being properly logged on to BBO and being at his/her keyboard. This happened to me for the first time last Thursday [17 February]. I use a modern Lenovo laptop. I wasn't hosting the match [obviously as I experienced the problem], but a very experienced host who was playing in the same match has seen the problem several times, and has reported it to BBO Support several times. The responses have ranged from this can't happen/user accidentally failed to accept/iPad problem to this is a known issue. My colleague has been advised by BBO to try restarting the match with the problem player removed [+private+ specified as an option], then to try and substitute him/her back in to the vacant seat. If this latter is the official work-around it would be good to see it spelled out somewhere.

The alternative solution that I know has been used is to ask the problem player to logout and back in with an alternative BBO username [which is what I did last Thursday], but I think the issue needs a better resolution that this. Apart from other considerations, one result is that everyone sits around twiddling their thumbs for 15-20 minutes whilst the problem is circumvented.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users